Time & Location
About the event
• Hour long classes on Tuesday evenings from 8pm-9pm
• Classes will be held weekly (with rotating lectures for the first 20 minutes of class)
• For safety purposes this workshop will be held online using Google Classroom while COVID19 is still a threat to our members safety – after shelter in place isn’t necessary a tactile classroom may be considered – or if the online format works for students and instructor an online format may be adopted for future classes beyond the COVID19 danger.
• Class instructional content will rotate on a monthly basis for instruction (see below for details)
• I will be giving the students recommendations for resources they can be studying outside of the life drawing sessions to further their skills – this will be in the form of PDFs that I can share with the students and videos on YouTube about drawing and draftsmanship that have been vetted for quality.
Class Schedule Breakdown
8pm-8:20pm: Instruction drawing paired with a video or images – students may just follow along or draw and follow along with the lecture
8:20pm-8:40pm: Free drawing time for the students from an instructor chosen timed Croquis Café video – this will ensure that students have timed exercises and are all drawing the same model poses for the session for critique.
8:40-9pm: Critique of students work that wish to participate, my hope is that students that might be shy to have their work critiqued can just follow along as participants that volunteer to have their work critiqued grow with their studies and will eventually join in with volunteering their work for critique
Class Instructional Content
First Tuesday of the month: Beginning gesture drawing concepts will be covered, such as, line of action, drawing from your shoulder exercises, loose drawing, tools to use for analog and digital drawing. Understanding that gesture drawing at first is about making “ugly drawings” or drawing that does not make sense to anyone else, we will explore pushing the pose for staging clarity
Third Tuesday of the month: Beginning to understand form and how to apply it while gesture drawing – to get away from contour drawings and begin to draw through the forms. Skeletal structure and surface anatomy will be discussed. Beginning to understand proportions will become subconsciously drawn after years of study. The three main concepts of life drawing for life (and to be studied in order):
When studied over time students can master life drawing for human and animal figures - It is my hope for this class that students will have the first steps of becoming a competent draftsman for animation demystified and give them the tools to succeed in learning how to draw out of their head!
Students will begin studies for gesture drawing with supplemental study of the Glenn Vilppu Drawing Manual - as he has taught so many animators out of: The Animation Guild Local 839 IATSE in North Hollywood, California through The American Animation Institute. https://animationguild.org/about-the-guild/education/
You must be 18 years or older - video will show nude models.
Members only critique sessions available or first come, first serve at a $5 donation.
Online: Google Classroom
November 2, 2021, 8:00 - 9:00 PM EDT